The Music Jerk

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Damn you Jenna Elfman! Oh what am I saying? I love you!!!

If you're somehow upset over the lack of posts lately you can blame this.

I went to the Family Values Tour. First off Torrid is making a killing off of those kids. I only saw one band, Deadsy, which was my original intention of going. They played a great set even though their bassist was out of commission with a broken finger and the singer had to play it instead. We found out they're embarking on a club tour soon. Very very good news. Oh and they ended with their Rush cover. Brilliant!

Within the the theme of the current season, The Spirit Of Autumn, I've declared this Smiths Week and I have been listening to nothing but The Smiths. This may explain my lethargic mood and not really wanting to update this right now. Maybe not. I know this is going to be a bad post. =(

I bought the new Justin Timberlake album. It's great. Timberland shows once again he's a genius producer. The newest single, "My Love", is a wonderous track and might be the neatest beat around right now. The best song however might be the "Cry Me A River" clone entitled "What Goes Around..." He has a tendency in a few tracks on the album to have these nice little outros so to speak in some of the songs where it's just like a remix of the song. "What Goes Around..." does this and makes you wish he just had two verisons of it on the track. Anyway that track is a great chill song and will be a hit if he releases it as a single. Look out for the last track, "(Another Song) All Over Again", a Rick Rubin produced track that sounds like The Roots doing 70s love makin' music.

Has anyone else heard that Elton John is making or has made a sequel to his awesomely awesome album "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy"? Weird.

Things I've bought since the last post and therefore may talk about soon:
-The new Morrissey album
-Daughters "Canada Songs" (these guys are just The Locust lite. Speaking of Daughters, stay far far away from their new album. Just trust me on this one. Please.)
-two Talk Talk albums, "Spirit Of Eden" and "It's My Life" (not liking Talk Talk is an unforgivable character flaw. It's all like super orchestrated shoegazer new wave! Come on people! This of course is the basis of my ridiculous "No Doubt is at least a neat and intelligent" band argument)

I believe that the very act of believing in something causes us to distance ourselves from that thing, thus a duality is created: oneself and the thing in which one believes. Now since we all know that in order to fully understand a thing one must be that thing - walk a mile in its shoes so to speak. It seems obvious that the state of believing in something inevitably causes us to not truly understand that thing in which we believe. This non-comprehension leads to all sorts of difficulties. "I believe in love" has a better than even chance of leading to divorce, while "I believe in God" seems to end in variations on the Spanish Inquisition. But - and it's a big but - if one were to love, one couldn't help but be affectionate and caring towards oneself and others. If one were God, one would act towards all beings and all things as if they were one's own creations. And that, my friends, is the secret to life.
Of course the secret could be more like listening to the three albums "Purple Rain" (Prince), "I'm With Stupid" (Aimee Mann) and "Graceland" (Paul Simon) on random.
We have to keep an open mind.

1 Comments:

  • Dec. 4! Mark this date well. It will entail: white chains, your paino beltbuckel, being better than 80-90% of the people around us and of course the son of Cher and Greg Alman...DEADSY! Tickets will prolly be on sale next week or the week after. Let Baron know if he doesn't already.

    By Blogger Greg, at 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home